Wednesday, June 17, 2009

How to Outwit the Six Ghosts of Fear

Chapter 15 of Think & Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill

This is a lesson I did recently for a Master Mind group I am part of.

I have been trying to find a way to cover this whole
chapter and I can't seem to do it. Here is a small part.

Hill gives us the 6 basic fears: poverty, criticism, ill health, loss of someones love, old age, and death.

I want to focus on the first one because that seems to be such a huge thing right now. It seems like everywhere you look people are scared to death of losing everything - their job, their car, their house, their retirement.

Man can create NOTHING which he does not first conceive in the form of an impulse of thought.
Hill tells us also that if we leave our mind unattended we will be beset by the vibration/impact of all the thoughts others are throwing out there. With all the attention being focused on our supposed recession it is dangerous to not be in control of our mind. The economy is driven by emotion. Our emotions drive our spending habits, and our spending habits drive the economy. Any economist will agree with this statement. They only differ in the solutions they propose.

We need to close our mind to these thoughts and only admit thought impulses of our own choosing.
Fears are nothing but a state of mind.
A state of mind can be changed.

We just need to follow Hill's plan to reach those dreams and goals we have. The first step is Desire. This desire needs to be a white hot, burning desire. It needs to be specific and detailed. Take time to write out your specific dream.

If we are Willing to accept poverty that is exactly what we are going to get. It is all a state of mind. Sometimes we just want the attention we get by complaining and
whining about What If .... I loved it where Hill said "Planning what to do IF AND WHEN OVERTAKEN BY FAILURE, INSTEAD OF BURNING ALL BRIDGES AND
MAKING RETREAT IMPOSSIBLE" was one of the signs of Fear of Poverty. We need the desire and then we need to take action on it, believing that we are headed in the right direction. No more doubt; no more worry; no more procrastination.

I think that I have struggled a lot more personally with the fear of criticism. I spent too much of my life seeking approval from others. It had some upsides such as making me a hard worker, but the stress, the perfectionism, and frustration were much more devastating. I still fight that, but I am getting better all the time; especially in my relationships.

But this path of growth is never-ending. Self development is a must. I have cut the chatter and focused my efforts. Because of this Master Mind group I am on my way to owning my life.

I encourage you to spend time in reflection. Have you written out your why? What is there in your life that you are no longer willing to put up with? What do you want your friends and family to remember about you when you are gone? Do you spend time in self development and in learning about your business?

Debby Riddick

No comments: